Tuesday, April 10, 2012

CEFX 3136, who left the door open?

CEFX started life as SP 8845, built in 1967. The unit was later rebuilt by SP to a SD45R and renumbered to 7416. The unit then found it's way to CEFX leasing where it was rebuilt once more to a SD40M-2 (basically a SD40-2 in a SD45 car body). The unit is still in service today, being leased by CSX for the time being. 

For the model I started with a Kato SD45 painted in CNW.



The shell was disassembled and stripped using 91% isopropyl alcohol. After stripping I started detailing the loco using the following parts, mainly from BLMA:

snow plow
MU hoses
air hoses
windshield wipers 
lift rings
grab irons
see-through fans
air line on top of cab 
relocated horn
painted cab interior
open door (aka, the air conditioner for those hot, humid Indiana summers)

I airbrushed the model using a custom mix of Polyscale Conrail blue with some reefer white added to it. I used a combination of Highball Graphics and Microscale decals to letter the model. 

For weathering I used a combination of airbrushing, oil paints, and weathering powders to give it a well worked look. 

Finished model:





   



2 comments:

  1. Looks like a REAL nice loco, but, and you know it's coming, you couldn't have found a UP victim? I suppose it has gone to a better place lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you wouldn't like seeing that Dennis. Next loco I strip down I'll make sure it's a UP one.

      Delete